As more companies undergo digital transformation, they will need more information workers and IT professionals to help them move their data, infrastructure, and processes to cloud computing.
The global COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated remote working and digital transformation initiatives. In the first quarter of 2020, global cloud spending rose to $29 billion — a 37% jump from 2019.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that between 2020 and 2030, the demand for computing and information technology workers will increase by 13 percent, much faster than the median of all jobs. Companies will most likely need those workers permanently to maintain and develop ongoing systems.
Note: The data provided above are from a source unaffiliated with MTI College, are for informational purposes only and represent the employment field as a whole. They are not solely specific to MTI graduates and, by providing the above information, MTI makes no representation, direct or implied, or opinion regarding employability.
Cloud computing, DevOps, and cloud architecture are skills that will help you have a lucrative and rewarding career. Many employers are looking for qualified candidates with these skillsets.
AWS Cloud Practitioner is a fundamental certification that is a prerequisite for many career and AWS certification paths.
What is the AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification?
The AWS Cloud Practitioner certificate is for professionals who want to have an overall understanding of AWS cloud services and cloud computing. This certificate is for technical, managerial, sales, purchasing, or financial roles who work with AWS Cloud.
The AWS Cloud Practitioner exam validates a candidate’s ability to define basic cloud infrastructure and architectural concepts, and important services on the AWS platform. You should also be able to explain basic security and compliance aspects of AWS Cloud Services. The certification offers an overview of core services offered by AWS, security, network and cloud pricing, and the available support services.
Becoming an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner is a recommended prerequisite step to Associate-level, Professional-level or Specialty AWS certifications.
Over 12% of IT professionals in the US will pursue this certification in 2021.
Abilities and Competencies Validated by the Certification
Here are some things you will need to know to earn certification:
- Define the AWS Cloud and how it works
- Recognize and explain global AWS Cloud infrastructure
- Describe the AWS Cloud value proposition
- Elaborate on AWS Cloud architectural principles
- Describe key services on the AWS platform and their common use cases (like computation and analytics)
- Describe the basic security and compliance aspects of the AWS platform and the shared security model
- Define the billing, account management, and pricing models
- Describe basic/core characteristics of deploying and operating in the AWS Cloud
Why is the AWS Cloud Practitioner Certificate So Popular?
IT candidates who are looking to start their career in cloud computing or another adjacent IT career may require this certification. The AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certificate is foundational for anyone working with AWS Cloud Services, which has 32% market share.
Many people who earn this certificate go on to earn other AWS certifications or other IT certifications to qualify for increasingly advanced positions.
What Does an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Do?
Cloud practitioners can hold several different roles in an organization, as many positions that work with AWS Cloud may require this certificate. Often, cloud practitioners bridge the gap between technical and business concerns within a company. They may work with IT developers and/or the business teams to make sure business objectives are aligned throughout the organization.
Tech professionals that follow a career path as cloud architects manage an organization’s cloud architecture. They will be involved in site and data migrations, building and maintaining technical infrastructure, and lead their develop teams towards reducing long-term risk and technical debt.
Skills Required to Become an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
A cloud practitioner must have a balance of business, interpersonal, and technical skills.
In the business category, a cloud practitioner should have these skills:
- Understanding of how software and hardware systems solve business problems.
- Ability to analyze user’s work processes and create efficiencies in workflows.
- Communication skills to explain technical details of project and get buy-in from project stakeholders.
- Resolve scalability issues.
- Handle integration challenges with third-party programs.
Technical skills that a cloud practitioner should possess include:
- Foresight to anticipate and solve scalability issues.
- Integrate existing technologies and infrastructure with third-party software and technologies.
- Oversight on creating architecture for AWS platforms.
- Ability to deploy AWS solutions and applications.
- Building cloud solutions.
- Developing plans for the adoption of cloud solutions.
- Management and monitoring of cloud platforms.
- Understanding of data security and compliance laws.
- Basic networking and security for cloud applications.
- Working knowledge of tools used in the AWS environment.
A cloud practitioner or cloud architect will also benefit from possessing:
- A desire to keep learning and a curious nature.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Critical thinking and ability to make informed decisions.
- Interpersonal and communication skills
How Much Can You Expect to Earn as a Certified AWS Cloud Practitioner?
This certificate is part of many different career paths, so predicting the exact salary amount you can earn with this certification largely depends on what steps you take after earning the AWS Cloud Practitioner certificate.
AWS has additional certifications that require the AWS Cloud Practitioner certificate as a prerequisite. These include the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate and AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional.
Do AWS certifications expire?
All AWS certifications are valid for three years. You will receive a notification before your certification credentials are set to expire, so you can prepare for the recertification process.
AWS Cloud Practitioner is the First Step Towards More Advanced Positions
By building upon the AWS Cloud Practitioner certificate and combining it with other AWS certificates and other IT certificates, an information technology professional can qualify for roles such as these:
- Operation Support Engineer
- SysOps Administrator
- AWS Cloud Architect
- Cloud Developer
- Cloud Sales and Purchase Manager
- Cloud DevOps Engineer
- Cloud Software Engineer
- AWS Networking Specialist
- AWS System Integrator
- AWS Big Data Specialist
Companies That Use AWS Cloud Services
Just a few of the companies that use AWS Cloud include Facebook, Netflix, Adobe, BBC, Airbnb, BMW, McDonalds, Sony, Lyft, Nokia, ESPN, Comcast, Disney, Samsung, Nokia, USDA, Yelp, Nordstrom’s, Lamborghini, NASA and General Electric.
Almost every company of any large size uses AWS Cloud Services.
Why choose MTI College’s AWS Cloud Administration program?
MTI College has partnered with Amazon Web Services as an AWS Academy. This partnership provides MTI students with curriculum prepared by AWS. Students learn with AWS-authored lectures, labs, projects, assessments and more. These custom resources prepare students for careers in cloud computing with exclusive insights from AWS to achieve AWS certification.
MTI is an official Pearson VUE testing center. That means that when you’re ready to take your Microsoft certification exams, you can take them on the familiar MTI campus. We’ll also give you the practice and tutoring you need to pass your exams.
At MTI College at Sacramento, through our AWS Cloud Administration Associates Degree program you will be trained in preparation for:
- CompTIA A+ Exams 220-1001 and 220-1002
- CompTIA Network+ Exam N10-007
- CompTIA Security+ Exam SY0-601
- Amazon AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- Amazon AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
Take the First Step Towards a Career in Cloud Computing
Complete the online application and an admissions advisor will walk you through the application process.