Medical Assisting - Certification Program
Prepare Yourself for a Successful Healthcare Career as an NCMA Certified Medical Assistant
The Medical Assisting Certification Program in Sacramento trains students in the protocols and procedures used every day in clinics, hospitals, and assisted living environments.
Medical Assisting Certification Program at MTI College in Sacramento, California
MTI prepares students in our Medical Assistant program to perform a diverse range of duties in the medical field. Our classes will train you in the proper protocols and procedures used in clinical environments. As a medical assisting student, you will learn medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pharmacology. Each student in the Medical Assisting program is required to finish a 160‐hour unpaid off‐campus Medical Assisting Externship along with your standard course requirements in order to graduate. To become certified as a Medical Assistant, the classroom work can be completed in as few as 38 weeks, followed by a 4 week externship. This means you can become certified as a Medical Assistant in as little as 42 weeks.
Students who complete the medical assistant training program will also have access to MTI’s job placement assistance service. Our expert staff will provide alumni with the resources to find a job upon graduation by assisting with resume writing, job interviewing advice and techniques, and various other resources to find medical jobs around the Sacramento area.
We also have a Medical Assisting with Phlebotomy Certificate program that offers the same comprehensive training in clinical, administrative and laboratory procedures as our Medical Assistant program with an additional 40-80 hour phlebotomy externship at a local laboratory or hospital. Better yet, both of these are arranged for you by the college through our strong relationships within the local Sacramento healthcare community!
What do Medical Assisting Classes Cover?
Medical Assisting students at MTI learn to assist in numerous healthcare environments including medical offices, clinics, labs, and more. Here is an overview of what you will learn in our Medical Assisting course:
- How to calculate drug dosage
- Medical terminology and how it relates to the functions and structures of the human body
- Patient confidentiality, ethics in the workplace, and other legal issues
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and guidelines
- How to assist in routine and specialty exams or procedures
- Asepsis and sterilization procedures
- And much more
The goal of MTI’s Sacramento Medical Assisting program is to give you the well-rounded skills necessary to succeed in the healthcare industry.
Medical Assisting Externship: Hands-On Training
Your externship might have you helping out in a clinic, physician’s office, rehab facility, retirement home or one of many other places. Depending on the location, you may be tasked with doing a particular job, such as recording patient information or drawing blood, or a combination of clinical and/or administrative duties. When you’re working in an actual healthcare facility, you will likely “shadow” a professional who is already working in the field. This might be a doctor, nurse, lab technician or even another medical assistant. This is an opportunity to observe, take notes and apply what you learned in school to a real-world situation – working on real patients. Don’t worry; your supervisor will be there to guide you. You may also be invited to attend staff meetings and/or conferences. The goal of this externship is to teach you all aspects of the business and what goes on in healthcare facilities.
Ready to apply? Complete your online application now!
Demand for Medical Assistants
The Bureau of Labor Statistics project jobs in the Medical Assisting industry will grow by about 19% by 2029!
What drives the demand for health information experts?
Two major factors contributing to this growth are
- An aging population creates a need for more medical services provided by physicians. Physicians will need to hire more assistants for administrative and clinical duties.
- An increase in the aging population also means an increase in the need for healthcare facilities that will need support staff.
How Much Does a Medical Assistant Earn in Sacramento?
The website Salary.com reports that the average medical assistant salary in Sacramento as of September 2020 is $39,076, with most salaries ranging from $36,023 to $41,194. The same report says the average hourly wage is about $19 an hour.
According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a medical assistant in Sacramento is $35,905, with salaries ranging from $30,000 to $62,000. Hourly rates range from about $14 to $30 and hour.
Indeed.com shows that Sacramento is the third-highest paying city in California for medical assistants, (Oakland and San Jose being #1 and #2), with an average hourly rate of $17.18 per hour. Jobs listed on Indeed in October 2020 show hourly rates of $16.06 to $26.24 per hour.
Medical Assisting Job Description and FAQ
What does a Medical Assistant do?
Medical Assistants play a vital role in the everyday tasks at clinics, medical offices, nursing homes, and more. They can provide support to physicians, surgeons, lab technicians, and others in the medical industry. Often times, Medical Assistants are the first professional a patient meets, playing a key part in the experience of the patient.
How long does it take to become a certified medical assistant?
You can become a medical assistant in as little as 42 weeks through the Medical Assistant certification program at MTI. The classroom training can be finished in about 38 weeks, followed by a 4-week unpaid externship at a nearby medical facility. After this, you can take the certification exam, and begin your career as a medical assistant.
Where can I work as a certified Medical Assistant?
There are many types of medical facilities that rely on Medical Assistants, creating a wide range of options for you to choose from:
- Doctor offices and clinics
- Emergency care centers
- Laboratories and blood donation centers
- Nursing homes
What are the important qualities of a Medical Assistant?
- Passion for helping others
- Attention to details and ability to stay organized
- Uncompromising concern for safety
- Ability to use computers, phones, and other office equipment
- Enjoys fast-paced work
What are common tasks for a Medical Assistant in Sacramento, California?
- Operating front desk and greet patients
- Reviewing and entering patient data
- Performing insurance coding and billing
- Maintaining Medical Charts
- Preparing reports and correspondence
- Sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Assisting in routine medical procedures
- Performing basic laboratory tests
As you can see, becoming a Medical Assistant can be a great way to enter the medical field. Complete the Request Information form or call our Admissions team to learn more today!
Endorsement and Certifications
Why choose MTI College’s Medical Assisting Certification program?
We are endorsed by
- The American Medical Technologists association
- The National Center for Competency Testing
- California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants
We prepare MTI graduates for the
- Nationally Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) Exam*
*You can take this test through the campus’ Learning Resource Center.
Next Start Dates:
May 17, 2021
June 28, 2021
August 9, 2021
September 20, 2021
November 1, 2021
Related DocumentsProgram Assessment 2017 (PDF)
- MO111 - Math for Medical Students
- Students learn basic arithmetic calculations involving whole numbers, decimals, and fractions. Students also use metric measurements to perform conversions within the metric system and between the metric and the English measurement systems. Students will also learn how to calculate drug dosage.
- MO126 - Medical Terminology with Anatomy and Physiology
- This course is designed to help students succeed in healthcare careers by familiarizing them with medical terms and an introduction into human anatomy and physiology. An emphasis is placed on teaching how terminology relates to the functions and structures of the human body. A systematic learning approach will be used to acquaint the student with the human body and teach terms and word parts related to specific medical specialties and pathological conditions.
- MO130 - Medical Office Practice
- This course is an overview of the responsibilities of medical front office personnel. Focus will be on medical office interactions, human relations, customer service, the main medical specialties and their focuses, and the role of medical assisting. Patient confidentiality, ethics in the work place, and other legal issues are discussed. The Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) will be covered. Medical office bookkeeping and payroll are included.
- MO171 - Clinical Assisting
- This course introduces students to basic skills and routine procedures found in a clinic or medical office setting. In addition, students become familiar with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and guidelines. Topics include: patient screening, obtaining vital signs, recording patient history, preparing and maintaining treatments areas, patient preparation, patient education, customer service, assisting in routine and specialty exams or procedures, first aid and CPR, asepsis and sterilization procedures, and responding to medical emergencies.
- MO181 - Laboratory Assisting I
- This course focuses on the fundamental principles, techniques, and procedures used in a medical laboratory setting. In addition to standard laboratory sterilization and safety practices, students will learn procedures for the proper collection, analysis, and disposal of routine specimens.
- MO186 - Laboratory Assisting II
- This course focuses on the fundamental principles, techniques, and procedures used in a medical laboratory setting. In addition to standard laboratory sterilization and safety practices, students learn procedures for the proper collection, analysis, and disposal of routine specimens. Students learn and apply various methods of specimen collection, administer injections and perform venipuncture.
- MO190 - Medical Assisting Certification Strategies
- Students will learn and apply certification testing strategies to help them prepare for and pass the examination required to become a Nationally Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA).
- MO500 - Medical Assisting Externship
- This 160-hour externship is designed to provide students with valuable hands-on experience in an ambulatory healthcare setting that is separate from the college. Students will apply the knowledge and skills learned throughout the Medical Assistant program and demonstrate professionalism in interacting with healthcare professionals and patients. Students will perform administrative and clinical procedures under the supervision of a healthcare professional and receive feedback on their performance.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $14,150
Books and Supplies: $2,185
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: 97%
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: 80%
Based on the number of Medical Assistant graduates in the 2019-2020 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.