Medical Billing and Coding Professional - Certification Program
Hiring for medical billing and coding professionals continues to see significant growth
MTI College’s Medical Billing and Coding certification program gives you the skills and knowledge to work as a healthcare professional in outpatient facilities, including nursing homes, medical offices and other healthcare facilities.
Medical Billing and Coding Professional Certification Program at MTI College in Sacramento, California
Our job training prepares you to join a team of healthcare professionals. Medical billing and coding is a part of a growing healthcare industry. That is why our classes teach you what you need to know to land the perfect medical billing and coding job. Whether you want to spend your time in a traditional medical office or you want to work from home, billers and coders have options. Review our course and industry information to see if Medical Billing and Coding School at MTI is right for you. Fill out an information or tour request form to get started today.
What do MTI Medical Billing and Coding classes cover?
Medical Billing and Coding courses cover the practical skills and knowledge you need successfully work in the industry. Read more for an overview of each topic.
- Insurance billing, insurance claims, and insurance companies
- Medical terminology, medical records, and medical coding
- Medisoft practice management software
- Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Administrative office duties and computer skills
- Problem solving and organizational best practices
- Much more
For more information about medical billing and coding training at MTI College of Sacramento, fill out the easy Request Information form today!
Demand for Medical Billing Specialists
The Bureau of Labor Statistics project jobs in the Medical Records and Health Information Technician industry will grow about 13% by 2026.
What drives the demand for health information experts?
Two major factors contributing to this growth are:
- An aging population with increased medical care needs
- The widespread use of Electronic Health Records (EHR)
This need for dedicated employees with a billing and coding certification means in-demand work for future medical records specialists.
If you think it is time to start a rewarding new career in the medical field, our admissions team will help you pick the best day or night class for your busy schedule. Call today to learn about our exciting Medical Billing and Coding courses!
Medical Billing and Coding Job Description
What is a medical billing and coding professional (MBCP)?
MBCPs connect patients, healthcare providers, and healthcare insurers. They are confident communicators and an important member of the team.
Who should consider a career in the billing and coding industry?
This career is perfect for resourceful go-getters with an eye for detail. MBCPs love fast-paced work in a flexible environment.
What can I do with a Medical Billing and Coding Certification in Sacramento, California?
Successful MTI graduates who earn their billing and coding certification have many work options.
- Outpatient facilities
- Nursing homes
- Medical offices
- Some even work from home
What are the important qualities of a medical biller and coder?
- Has attention to detail
- Exhibits strong organizational skills
- Understands common computer use
- Adapts to new software fast
- Has a desire to help others
What are common MBCP tasks?
- Processing insurance claims
- Reviewing patient information
- Coding medical records
What is an average day for a medical biller and coder?
While every job is unique, an average day could include:
- Tracking and coding patient visits on EHR software
- Determining how much money an insurance provider owes your office
- Reviewing reimbursements from Medicaid or Medicare
As you can see, becoming a medical biller and coder gives you a chance to join a team of healthcare professionals that make a difference.
Endorsement and Certifications
Why choose MTI College’s Medical Billing and Coding Certification program?
We are proud members of the:
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Medical Billing Association (AMBA)
We prepare MTI graduates to for:
- Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS) exam
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam
These industry recognized credentials make our certified MTI graduates sought-after in a competitive job market.
If you have questions, we have answers. Our helpful admissions staff is available at: (916) 339-1500. Call us today!
Ready to start your career training? Complete your online application now!
We look forward to helping you grow your healthcare career.
Related DocumentsProgram Assessment 2017 (PDF)
- MO126 - Medical Terminology with Anatomy and Physiology
- This course is designed to help students succeed in healthcare careers by familiarizing them with medical terms and an introduction into human anatomy and physiology. An emphasis is placed on teaching how terminology relates to the functions and structures of the human body. A systematic learning approach will be used to acquaint the student with the human body and teach terms and word parts related to specific medical specialties and pathological conditions.
- MO130 - Medical Office Practice
- This course is an overview of the responsibilities of medical front office personnel. Focus will be on medical office interactions, human relations, customer service, the main medical specialties and their focuses, and the role of medical assisting. Patient confidentiality, ethics in the work place, and other legal issues are discussed. The Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) will be covered. Medical office bookkeeping and payroll are included.
- MO136 - Introduction to Medical Insurance and Coding
- This course introduces students to different medical insurance types in the medical field. Focus will be on the importance of insurance eligibility, collection of proper documentation, and compliance standards needed in a medical office. Students will learn to use ICD-10, HCPCS coding standards and CPT coding books to properly code diagnoses and procedures.
- MO143 - Medical Insurance Billing and Claims Processing
- This course is a capstone class for Medical Office and Billing Specialist students. Student will become proficient with claims processing, healthcare payers, provider charges and payment methods, claim adjudication, reimbursement follow-up and record retention. Practical hands-on classroom experience simulating the medical billing cycle in a private practice environment. The focus will be on taking students beyond the initial claims process, expanding into following up on unpaid claims and payment procedures. As students go through the billing cycle, they will also learn techniques to improve cash flow for a medical practice.
- MO146 - Electronic Health Records
- Student will learn the importance and functionality of electronic health records with practical hands-on classroom experience simulating the workflow in a medical office environment. Students will learn how the administrative, billing, and clinical functions are integrated with the use of certified electronic health records software.
- MO158 - Procedural Coding
- This course provides an in-depth view of CPT and HCPCS coding. Students will learn how to identify and assign accurate procedure codes by using various health care specialties scenarios and case studies.
- MO161 - ICD-10 Diagnoses and Procedure Coding
- This course provides an in-depth view of the new ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding system. Students will learn how to identify and assign accurate diagnostic and procedural coding by using various health care specialties scenarios and case studies.
- MO196 - Medical Billing and Coding Certification Strategies
- Students will learn and apply certification testing strategies to help them pass the Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certification exam.
- MB500 - Medical Billing and Coding Externship
- This 160-hour externship is designed to provide students with valuable hands-on experience in an outpatient medical billing provider office or medical billing entity that is separate from the college. Students will apply the knowledge and skills learned throughout the Medical Billing and Coding Professional program and demonstrate professionalism in interacting with healthcare billing professionals and patients. Student will perform administrative, billing and coding processes under the supervision of an office or billing manager and receive feedback on their performance.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Median Loan Debt Incurred by Students
Median Loan Debt: $7,105
*The median debt of borrowers who completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $16,525
Books and Supplies: $2,276
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: 92%
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: 92%
Based on the number of Medical Billing and Coding Professional graduates in the 2016-2017 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
For admission to MTI College, applicants must –
- Interview with an admissions advisor
- Provide proof of graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Complete an application for admission
Pass an admissions examination
The first part of the application process may be completed online.