Partial Online Paralegal Degree Program at MTI College in Sacramento, California
The Partial Online Paralegal Associate of Arts Degree program at MTI College in Sacramento equips students with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to enter a successful paralegal career. Approved by the American Bar Association (ABA), students will have the tools they need to find employment in a wide range of legal practice areas.
The ABA defines a paralegal as:
“A legal assistant or paralegal is a person qualified by education, training or work experience who is employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, corporation, governmental agency or other entity and who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a lawyer is responsible. Legal assistants or paralegals may not provide services directly to the public except as permitted by law.”
Review our course and industry information to see if the Partial Online Paralegal Associate Degree program at MTI is right for you. Fill out an information or tour request form to get started today!
About The Partial Online Paralegal Associate Degree Program
OnlinePlus is an innovative alternative to traditional courses and enables students to enhance their existing education credentials. The online format allows for students to spend as little as one night on our campus a week for one course while completing the other two courses online as they work to complete their paralegal training.
This partial online course program will provide students with the skills to work under the supervision of licensed lawyers in a paralegal career. OnlinePlus provides all the same curriculum and benchmarks as our conventional on-campus paralegal program in Sacramento, CA.
Graduates will have the knowledge and confidence to provide in demand legal services in law firms, government agencies, and a wide variety of legal practice environments. The program is designed to train students to learn how to understand legal principles and how to apply those principles through analytical thinking, critical thinking, and practical application of the substantive and procedural law.
The OnlinePlus Paralegal Degree program in Sacramento provides internet-based instruction via a Course Management System (CMS), which provides students with access to:
- Course materials
- Lectures and class discussion sessions
The OnlinePlus Paralegal program is broken into four quarters comprising of three courses, two of which are online, and one of which is conducted in the conventional classroom environment. The online and traditional paralegal course offerings use a curriculum approved by the ABA and are staffed by MTI’s seasoned paralegal faculty.
The majority of student interaction with classmates and instructors is done online and through email. Students are encouraged to establish personal relationships with fellow students when on campus and to stay connected through digital communications.
Graduates will have the experience and the knowledge to provide services in the legal field, be qualified to assist in civil, criminal, and regulatory areas of the law. They will be able to effectively perform substantive legal tasks under the supervision of licensed attorneys.
Note: Graduates of this program will not be permitted to directly provide legal services to clients unless explicitly allowed by the law.
Why Choose the Partial Online Paralegal Degree Program?
The Online Paralegal Degree program in addition to being ABA approved, is also accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The course faculty includes experienced lawyers, paralegals, and other legal field professionals.
The program is designed to sharpen the students’ logical reasoning and analytical skills and equip them with the ability to apply legal principles to the facts presented to them. The Partial Online Paralegal Degree program at MTI College in Sacramento achieves these goals through the use of theoretical teaching methods and hands-on experience.
The Partial Online Paralegal Degree program provides a solid foundation in legal research and writing, litigation procedures, legal technology software, and other key legal topics.
Our Paralegal Studies program is a two-year associate’s degree program approved by the American Bar Association to equip students to work as paralegals in many areas of law. MTI College features Relativity Software in its Computer Technology course, along with basic e-Discovery tools. Successful paralegals are expected to be tech-savvy. The Relativity Academic Partner program gives paralegal students hands-on experience with technology, allowing them to develop the skills needed to stand out for future employers. MTI College is the only Sacramento paralegal program that features Relativity software in its paralegal program.
Whether you pursue the Paralegal Degree program through conventional, on-campus classes or through the OnlinePlus format, upon successful completion of the program graduates will be able to do the following:
- Serve as ethical, professional members of the legal field.
- Use sound communication and analytical skills to support lawyers, clients and others with trial preparation, depositions, document preparation, and other tasks.
- Conduct thorough legal research and integrate key facts when drafting legal documents.
- Keeping all skills and knowledge current through participation in continuing education and self-study.
- Work well individually and as part of a team to meet all deadlines and expectations.
- Utilize technological tools in the preparation of legal documents and to perform legal research.
Paralegal Job Placement Opportunities
The MTI College Partial Online Paralegal Degree program provides students with the training and the skills needed to work in a wide range of legal service positions. Graduates will have access to professional placement services.
MTI is a member of the Sacramento Valley Paralegal Association (SVPA), the National Federation of Paralegal Associations, and the American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE), a national organization comprised of paralegal educators and institutions offering paralegal and legal assistant education programs.
Students are encouraged to find legal internships or legal-related employment during the program. Having that experience will increase the chances of obtaining a job upon graduation. Students will be helped in identifying and securing positions and internships in the legal field, along with access to other career services.
Related DocumentsProgram Assessment 2016 (PDF)
- L110A - Beginning Legal Terminology and Office Procedures
- This course prepares the student to work in a law office through instruction in legal terminology, law office procedures, and the preparation of legal documents. The student creates documents on pleading paper using MS Word and Judicial Council forms.
- L115B - Basic Legal Calendaring
- This course continues the coverage of the litigation process through case management and calendaring procedures. The student explores case management and document control, and creates documents on pleading paper using MS Word and Judicial Council forms and Abacus calendaring.
- OLA215 - Legal Writing and Analysis
- This course is designed to help students learn legal analysis and writing skills. Clarity, logical organization, precision, and conciseness are developed through lectures, class participation, practice materials, and writing assignments. The student learns how to read and analyze legal cases and materials. The process of legal writing, including planning, organization, and structure, is covered.
- OLA218 - Introduction to the Paralegal Profession, Ethics, Client Interviewing, and Investigation
- This course is designed to provide the student with an understanding of the role of the paralegal in private law firms, corporations, government offices, and nonprofit organizations. Topics include billing, the Fair Labor Standards Act exemptions, regulation of the profession, and voluntary testing. Emphasis is placed on defining the unauthorized practice of law, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, fee arrangements, and professional responsibilities of the legal profession in general, particularly as they relate to paralegals. The course enhances students’ basic interview skills and investigation techniques through a combination of lecture and in-class or online interactive role-play scenarios. Emphasis is placed on learning the major techniques to achieve factual comprehensiveness during a legal interview and while conducting varied investigations.
- LA221 - Introduction to Civil Litigation
- This course provides an overview of the basic concepts of civil litigation, including pleading practice, discovery, and trial preparation. The course focuses on civil litigation in California and federal courts. The student becomes familiar with all phases of California civil court procedures including jurisdiction, venue, pleadings, discovery, pre-trial motions, summary judgment and trial preparation/procedure.
- LA226 - Legal Research
- This course provides an introduction to the fundamentals of legal research, including locating case and statutory law, primary and secondary source materials, and updating and validating legal authority. The student learns how to cite legal authorities and use legal authorities effectively in legal documents. In addition to covering standard law library resources, the computer is introduced as a research tool.
- OLA235 - Torts in Personal Injury Cases
- This course incorporates a comprehensive presentation of substantive tort law designed for the paralegal student with a study of typical procedural components in personal injury cases. These areas are explored from the perspective of actual and hypothetical cases, emphasizing the paralegal’s participation from initial investigation through trial preparation and settlement.
- LA246 - Technology for Paralegals
- This course introduces the student to the knowledge and skills necessary to use various technologies associated with the legal environment effectively. Topics such as the use of case management software, Internet resources and search logic, billing and time use software, docket control, e-discovery cloud based repositories are addressed.
- OLA250 - Advanced Litigation
- This course is designed to offer an in-depth view of the civil litigation process from both the California and federal viewpoints. The class focuses on the role of the paralegal in civil litigation, the observance of the civil procedure process, the evidentiary requirements, and the practical application for paralegal participation in the case process through post-trial procedures.
- OLA281 - Principles of Contract Law
- This course provides a general understanding of the essential principles of contract law, the manner in which contracts are formed, and the elements that must be present for a contract to be valid and enforceable. The student learns the rights and obligations of the parties involved and remedies that are available when contracts are breached.
- OLA283 - Administrative Law
- This course offers an overview of the administrative law field, including authority, rule-making, adjudication, and judicial review. It presents a survey of the administrative process and conveys knowledge so that the student can use typical reference material; ascertain agency power; and understand agency decisions, rules and proceedings, and the role of the paralegal in the administrative law arena. The student is exposed to administrative hearing procedures, including discovery, rules of evidence, due process, findings, conclusions, and decisions.
- LA500 - Advanced Legal Writing Practicum
- This course helps the student transition from the academic to the working environment. The class simulates a legal office with the student working as a paralegal under the direction of a supervising attorney or supervising paralegal. The student is exposed to the problems and pressures that occur in the legal profession on a day-to-day basis. Assignments are based on handout materials dealing with a series of legal problems occurring for hypothetical clients. The student uses extensive research and writing skills with application to particular legal settings. Issues covered integrate the substantive areas of law that the student has already studied.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Tuition and Fees
Applicants that have completed an associate or baccalaureate degree or have completed 54 quarter units (36 semester units) in general studies and business from an accredited institution may enter directly into year two of the paralegal studies program upon acceptance.
Tuition and Registration: $18,030
Books and Supplies: $1,637
Tuition and Registration: $15,950
Books and Supplies: $2,025
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: 100%
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: 95%
Based on the number of Paralegal graduates in the 2018-2019 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
For admission to MTI College, applicants must –
- Interview with an admissions advisor
- Provide proof of graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Complete an application for admission
- Pass an admissions examination
The first part of the application process may be completed online.