A.A.S. Network Administration and Security - Associate Degree
Our Network Administration and Security program is training tomorrow’s top network administrators.
Our graduates are expert managers of Microsoft Windows Server technologies. Plus, our program prepares students for the successful completion of the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications, a required certification for many IT career paths.
Our fast-paced, hands-on program keeps you engaged from the start. You’ll gain experience with network security concepts, technical support concepts, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016. Our students use networking simulators to build virtual server-based network infrastructures from the ground up.
MTI is an official Pearson VUE testing center. That means that when you’re ready to take your Microsoft certification exams, you can take them on the familiar MTI campus. We’ll also give you the practice and tutoring you might need to pass. Year after year, over 90% of the students who participated in our Test-Pass Assurance Program passed their Microsoft certification exams.
At MTI College, an official Microsoft Imagine Academy in Sacramento, students receive the benefit of certified instructors and access to exclusive tools for training. Students get access to Microsoft Imagine store, a collection of full-version software for students to download, learn, and practice the most important IT skills. MTI students also gain full-access accounts to LinkedIn Learning that provides hundreds of online, on-demand courses to support technology training.
At MTI, every student matters. Our small class sizes let every student interact one-on-one with instructors and get their questions answered.
Get Industry-Recognized Certifications
The Network Administration and Security program provides preparation for the following certifications:
- Microsoft Exam 70-740 Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Exam 70-741 Networking with Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Exam 70-742 Identity with Windows Server 2016
The successful achievement of these three exams earns the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification.
In addition to these certifications, students receive training in network security to prepare them for the successful completion of:
- CompTIA Exams 220-1001 and 220-1002 A+
- CompTIA Exam N10-007 Network+
- CompTIA Exam SY0-501 Security+
All students receive classroom instruction, materials, practice exams, and support to help prepare for exams. MTI’s effective Test-Pass Assurance program provides the preparation necessary for students to feel confident about passing their exams.
The Network Administration and Security program involves a two-year program towards an Associate A.A.S. Degree. For those candidates with verified work experience, CompTIA A+ certification, or equivalent, MTI College also provides a one-year Network Administrator Diploma program. Contact an admissions advisor for more information.
Related DocumentsProgram Assessment 2016 (PDF)
- TS115 - IT Fundamentals
- This course introduces fundamental technology concepts. Topics include hardware components, operating systems, application software, software development concepts, database fundamentals, and security concepts.
- TS137 - A+ Core 1: Computing Infrastructure
- This course provides an overview of objectives covered in the CompTIA A+ Core 1 certification exam. Students become familiar with concepts and terminologies associated with mobile devices, networks, computer hardware, and cloud computing. Troubleshooting common computer and networking problems along with proper technical support procedures are emphasized in this course.
- TS146 - A+ Core 2: Operating Systems and Security
- This course provides an overview of objectives covered in the CompTIA A+ Core 2 certification exam. Students learn to maintain, troubleshoot, and secure a variety of operating system environments. The course explores the operational procedures common to most professional environments.
- TS155 - A+ Certification Strategies
- Through a mix of independent study, practice exams, and instructor-guided coaching, students prepare for the CompTIA A+ certification exams.
- IT201 - Fundamentals of Networking Concepts
- This course focuses on providing the skills and knowledge necessary to troubleshoot, configure, and manage common network wireless and wired devices, establish basic network design and connectivity, understand and maintain network documentation, identify network limitations and weaknesses, and implement network security, standards, and protocols. Concepts from this course prepare students for the successful completion of the CompTIA Network+ certification exam.
- IT214 - Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
- This course prepares students for the first of a series of three exams which validate the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a Windows Server 2016 Infrastructure. The course focuses on skills such as server installation and configuration, virtualization with Hyper-V, and high availability management with failover clusters and network load balancing. This class is mapped to the Microsoft 70-740 Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016 exam objectives.
- IT234 - Networking with Windows Server 2016
- This course covers the second of three exams which validate the skills and knowledge necessary for networking in a Windows Server 2016 environment. The course focuses on the application of networking skills such as DNS, DHCP, IP management, and remote networking. This class is mapped to the Microsoft 70-741 in Windows Server 2012 exam objectives.
- IT244 - Identity with Windows Server 2016
- This course covers the third of three exams which validate the skills and knowledge necessary to administer a Windows Server 2016 Active Directory infrastructure. The course focuses on the installation and management of Active Directory domains, Group Policy, and certificate-based identity services. This class is mapped to the 70-742 Identity with Windows Server 2016 exam objectives.
- IT251 - Certification Preparation Strategies
- This course is designed for students to learn how to effectively prepare for and pass CompTIA Network+ certification and Microsoft MCSA certification exams 70-740 Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016, 70-741 Networking with Windows Server 2016, and 70-742 Identity with Windows Server 2016. Students will be coached on question comprehension and effective test taking strategies. Additionally, students will be given opportunities to take practice exams to qualify for exam vouchers via MTI College’s Test Pass Assurance Program.
- IT296 - Network Security Concepts
- Through lecture and practical exercises, this course prepares students to identify and construct strategies for effective network security. Students will learn to identify security risks, participate in risk mitigation actions, and develop infrastructure information and operational security. Students will also apply security controls to maintain confidentiality and integrity, identify appropriate technologies and products, troubleshoot security events and incidents, and operate within an awareness of applicable policies, laws, and regulations. This course prepares students for successful completion of the CompTIA Security+ certification exam.
- IT251D - Certification Preparation Strategies
- This course is designed for students to learn how to effectively prepare for and pass CompTIA Network+ and Security+, along with Microsoft MCSA for Windows Server 2016 exams. Students will be coached on question comprehension and effective test taking strategies. Additionally, students will be given opportunities to take practice exams to qualify for exam vouchers via MTI College’s Test Pass Assurance Program.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Median Loan Debt Incurred by Students
Median Loan Debt: $10,705
*The median debt of borrowers who completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $16,630
Books and Supplies: $1,688
Tuition and Registration: $15,650
Books and Supplies: $1,497
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: 100%
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: 75%
Based on the number of A.A.S. Network Administration and Security graduates in the 2016-2017 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.