Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento, California
The Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College prepares students to build a successful career as a barber. Students will be equipped to work in a salon, build a client base, and start their own barbershop. The courses are taught by industry experts and leaders who have the practical knowledge and experience needed for graduates to transition from student to professional.
Review our course and industry information to see if the Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI is right for you. Fill out an information or tour request form to get started today!
About The Barbering Program
The Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento is a three-level barber program that provides students with the skill set needed for success in this fast-growing industry. From hands-on technical training to business skills, this program prepares future professionals with the knowledge to become licensed barbers with the State of California’s Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Students can expect a multifaceted curriculum and unique culture that will hone their business skills, develop creativity, and help them build a solid foundation for starting a successful career.
Upon successful completion of the Barbering program at MTI College, students will be able to do the following:
- Describe and adhere to the laws and rules regulating the cosmetology and barbering industry in the State of California.
- Discuss and apply the scientific aspects of cosmetology and barbering, including anatomy and physiology, chemistry and bacteriology to their professional activities.
- Follow general sanitation procedures and safety guidelines as applied to all aspects of hair, skin and shaving and beard maintenance.
- Consistently apply appropriate barbering principles and techniques in the following areas:
- Haircutting and styling following the Paul Mitchell Barbering system
- Skincare treatments for men
- Beard Design, shaving with straight edge razors and maintenance
- Perform salon services in a friendly, competent, and professional manner.
- Make product recommendations and properly advise customers on the product’s use and safety.
- Apply fundamental business practices to a barbershop or salon environment, including customer service, retail skills, and client record-keeping.
In addition to students developing a full range of professional skills in hair, skin, and barbering, they will also be equipped with skills in client relations, retail sales, and the fundamentals of salon management.
As students move through each phase of the barbering program, they will demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have received in the classroom and on the clinic floor. Become a professional skilled in the latest barbering techniques.
Job Outlook for Barbers
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that 64,000 jobs will be added in barbering and cosmetology between 2018 and 2028. This is an 8% increase, which is faster job growth than average.
Why Is There Increased Demand for Barbers?
There is a resurgence in the barber shop experience. More men want a comfortable place to get a high-quality haircut, shave, or hair styling. The barbering licensure program at MTI College provides three levels of instruction. Students learn through hands-on training how to style and cut hair, shaving and grooming, hair coloring, skincare, and the skills necessary to build a lengthy professional career.
How Long Does It Take To Complete the Program?
The program is 1500 clock hours, and the length of the program is 43 weeks.
The program is divided into pre-clinical classroom instruction, followed by clinical hands-on experience. In the first part of the curriculum, students learn design principles, techniques, and professional practices through workshops and instruction. This is followed by hands-on clinical experience learned on the salon floor.
Phone: (916) 339-1888
Salon Services and Rate Card
Receive great salon service and value at our Paul Mitchell The School guest services clinic. All services are performed by students under the supervision of an instructor. Services at Paul Mitchell the School at MTI include haircuts, hair coloring, hair texturing, scalp washing treatments, and more.
At the Paul Mitchell guest services clinic in Sacramento, we guarantee a 5-minute stress-relieving scalp treatment with every haircut…or your haircut is FREE! All full-priced products are guaranteed 100% and may be exchanged with another product of equal or lesser price. Chemical services are guaranteed only when the prescribed products are purchased. No cash refunds. If a correction is deemed, please schedule an appointment within one week of original service.
For an amazing beauty experience, make an appointment with one of our talented Future Professionals today! Walk-ins welcome; call or text (916) 339-1888 to book your appointment now!
Guest Services Appointment Hours
|Monday||9:45 am – 5:00 pm and 5:45 pm – 8:00 pm|
|Tuesday||9:45 am – 5:00 pm and 5:45 pm – 10:00 pm|
|Wednesday||10:45 am – 5:00 pm and 6:45 pm – 10:00 pm|
|Thursday||10:45 am – 5:00 pm and 5:45 pm – 10:00 pm|
|Friday||9:45 am – 5:00 pm and 6:45 pm – 10:00 pm|
* Please note that hours may change slightly to accommodate student training requirements
|Haircut & Shave||$20/25|
|Freestyle Designs||$10 per hour|
|Hot Lather Shave||$25/30|
|Phase One Services||Phase Two Services|
|Haircut & Blow-Dry||$15||$20|
|Hot Tool Work||$15||$20|
Wash House Services
|KeraTriplex 2-step Repair||$18||$22|
|Deep Conditioning Treatment||$12||$17|
|Tea Tree T-3||$8||$12|
|Marula Oil Treatment||$20||$25|
|Dreads/Braids||$15 per hour||$20 per hour|
|Additional Chemical Applications||$10||$12|
SERVICE POLICY REGARDING MINORS
Guests under the age of 18 years must have a parent sign a release form and remain present throughout the service.
Minors not receiving a service must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times and may not accompany you on the clinic floor at any time during your service.
Coupons and promotions cannot be combined with any other offers.
ALL SERVICE ARE PERFORMED BY STUDENTS UNDER THE DIRECTION OF AN INSTRUCTOR.
- BR100 - CORE
- CORE focuses on the fundamental knowledge and skills future professionals will need to begin working with their clients, including an overview of the barbering and cosmetology industry and business practices; State of California rules and regulations, sanitation, and chemistry; basic techniques in cutting, color, and styling.
- BR300 - Adaptive
- The Adaptive phase is a period of intense study that is designed to build on the basics learned in CORE. The Adaptive phase consists of two modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. Future professionals also learn retailing practices, dialog, and the importance of educating clients on product, and the need for good communication between the professional and his/her guests by providing consultations on hair analysis, chemical analysis, and hair movement.
- BR400 - Creative
- The Creative Phase allows future professionals to continue to build and apply their knowledge and skills through classroom instruction and working in the clinic. The Creative phase consists of three modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. They explore ways to customize and combine the technical elements of what they have previously learned. Under the guidance of their learning leaders, future professionals will begin to operate more independently as they service their clients using techniques that combine the latest trends with fundamental technical skills.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $17,770
Books and Supplies: $2,957
Job Placement Rate
*Fewer than 10 students completed this program in the award year. This information has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Based on the number of Barbering graduates in the 2018-2019 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
California License Examination Pass Rates
A written and practical (hands-on) examination is required to become a licensed cosmetologist in California.
Licensure Pass Rate: 90%
*Based on Paul Mitchell the School MTI College graduates who sought their barbering licenses through the State of California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology in 2019. Review MTI’s exam pass rates and compare our results to other schools by reviewing the results posted by the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Look up MTI College under “Barbering – Written Examination Results” and “Barbering – Practical Examination Results.”
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
Apply today to pursue an exciting career in the field of barbering. Upon completion of the online application, you will be contacted by the Paul Mitchell Admissions Leader who will guide you through the process, answer your questions, and schedule a tour of our Sacramento campus. Join Sacramento’s best barbering school and apply today!