This three-level program gives you the complete barbering skillset you need for success in this fast-growing field, from hands-on technical training to develop your creativity, to hone your business skills. With our multifaceted curriculum and unique culture, a barbering education with Paul Mitchell Schools is about much more than getting your license – it’s about starting a great career. With the support of a Paul Mitchell the School education, you’ll be ready to build a client base, work in a salon, or even own your own barbershop. Thanks to the industry experts who lead our programs, you’ll have the practical knowledge and experience you need to transition seamlessly from student to professional—and you can feel confident taking the long-standing reputation of the Paul Mitchell name with you as you launch your barbering career.
This program prepares future professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to
become licensed barbers with the State of California. The program follows
the highly successful Paul Mitchell-approach toward developing a full range
of professional skills in hair, skin, and barbering as well as in client relations,
retail sales, and the fundamentals of salon management. As future
professionals move through each phase of the program, they will successfully
demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and confidence they have acquired in
the classroom and on the clinic floor.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to do the following:
- Describe and adhere to the laws and rules regulating the cosmetology and barbering industry in the State of California;
- Discuss and apply the scientific aspects of cosmetology and barbering, including anatomy and physiology, chemistry and bacteriology to their professional activities;
- Follow general sanitation procedures and safety guidelines as applied to all aspects of hair, skin and shaving and beard maintenance.
- Consistently apply appropriate principles and techniques in the following areas:
- Hair cutting and styling following the Paul Mitchell Barbering system
- Skin care treatments for men
- Beard Design, shaving with straight edge razors and maintenance
- Perform salon services in a friendly, competent, and professional manner;
- Make appropriate product recommendations and properly advise customers on the product’s use and safety;
- Apply fundamental business practices to a barbershop or salon environment, including customer service, retail skills, and client recordkeeping.
- BR100 - CORE
- CORE focuses on the fundamental knowledge and skills future professionals will need to begin working with their clients, including an overview of the barbering and cosmetology industry and business practices; State of California rules and regulations, sanitation, and chemistry; basic techniques in cutting, color, and styling.
- BR300 - Adaptive
- The Adaptive phase is a period of intense study that is designed to build on the basics learned in CORE. The Adaptive phase consists of two modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. Future professionals also learn retailing practices, dialog, and the importance of educating clients on product, and the need for good communication between the professional and his/her guests by providing consultations on hair analysis, chemical analysis, and hair movement.
- BR400 - Creative
- The Creative Phase allows future professionals to continue to build and apply their knowledge and skills through classroom instruction and working in the clinic. The Creative phase consists of three modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. They explore ways to customize and combine the technical elements of what they have previously learned. Under the guidance of their learning leaders, future professionals will begin to operate more independently as they service their clients using techniques that combine the latest trends with fundamental technical skills.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Median Loan Debt Incurred by Students
Median Loan Debt: *
*The median debt of borrowers who completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans. Fewer than 10 students completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This information has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $16,925
Books and Supplies: $2,906
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: *
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: *
*Fewer than 10 students completed this program in the award year. This information has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Based on the number of Barbering graduates in the 2016-2017 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
For admission to MTI College, applicants must –
- Interview with an admissions advisor
- Provide proof of graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Complete an application for admission
- Pass an admissions examination
The first part of the application process may be completed online.