Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento, California
The Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College prepares students to build a successful career as a barber. Students will be equipped to work in a salon, build a client base, and start their own barbershop. The courses are taught by industry experts and leaders who have the practical knowledge and experience needed for graduates to transition from student to professional.
Review our course and industry information to see if the Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI is right for you. Fill out an information or tour request form to get started today!
About The Barbering Program
The Barbering School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento is a three-level barber program that provides students with the skill set needed for success in this fast-growing industry. From hands-on technical training to business skills, this program prepares future professionals with the knowledge to become licensed barbers with the State of California’s Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Students can expect a multifaceted curriculum and unique culture that will hone their business skills, develop creativity, and help them build a solid foundation for starting a successful career.
Upon successful completion of the Barbering program at MTI College, students will be able to do the following:
- Describe and adhere to the laws and rules regulating the cosmetology and barbering industry in the State of California.
- Discuss and apply the scientific aspects of cosmetology and barbering, including anatomy and physiology, chemistry and bacteriology to their professional activities.
- Follow general sanitation procedures and safety guidelines as applied to all aspects of hair, skin and shaving and beard maintenance.
- Consistently apply appropriate barbering principles and techniques in the following areas:
- Haircutting and styling following the Paul Mitchell Barbering system
- Skincare treatments for men
- Beard Design, shaving with straight edge razors and maintenance
- Perform salon services in a friendly, competent, and professional manner.
- Make product recommendations and properly advise customers on the product’s use and safety.
- Apply fundamental business practices to a barbershop or salon environment, including customer service, retail skills, and client record-keeping.
In addition to students developing a full range of professional skills in hair, skin, and barbering, they will also be equipped with skills in client relations, retail sales, and the fundamentals of salon management.
As students move through each phase of the barbering program, they will demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have received in the classroom and on the clinic floor. Become a professional skilled in the latest barbering techniques.
- BR100 - CORE
- CORE focuses on the fundamental knowledge and skills future professionals will need to begin working with their clients, including an overview of the barbering and cosmetology industry and business practices; State of California rules and regulations, sanitation, and chemistry; basic techniques in cutting, color, and styling.
- BR300 - Adaptive
- The Adaptive phase is a period of intense study that is designed to build on the basics learned in CORE. The Adaptive phase consists of two modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. Future professionals also learn retailing practices, dialog, and the importance of educating clients on product, and the need for good communication between the professional and his/her guests by providing consultations on hair analysis, chemical analysis, and hair movement.
- BR400 - Creative
- The Creative Phase allows future professionals to continue to build and apply their knowledge and skills through classroom instruction and working in the clinic. The Creative phase consists of three modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. They explore ways to customize and combine the technical elements of what they have previously learned. Under the guidance of their learning leaders, future professionals will begin to operate more independently as they service their clients using techniques that combine the latest trends with fundamental technical skills.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Median Loan Debt Incurred by Students
Median Loan Debt: *
*The median debt of borrowers who completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans. Fewer than 10 students completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This information has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $17,720
Books and Supplies: $3,202
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: *
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: *
*Fewer than 10 students completed this program in the award year. This information has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Based on the number of Barbering graduates in the 2016-2017 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
For admission to the barber school at MTI College, applicants must –
- Interview with an admissions advisor
- Provide proof of graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Complete an application for admission
- Pass an admissions examination
The first part of the application process may be completed online.