Beauty and Cosmetology School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento, California
The Beauty and Cosmetology School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College provides training that is challenging, fun, inspirational, and will equip students to enter the exciting field of cosmetology. Whether you are working backstage in the performing arts or have plans to open your own salon, we provide you with the professional skills needed to excel in the industry.
Review our course and industry information to see if the Beauty and Cosmetology School by Paul Mitchell at MTI is right for you. Fill out an information or tour request form to get started today!
About The Beauty and Cosmetology Program
Students will be equipped with fundamentals, and develop the professional skills needed to work in the cosmetology industry with confidence. Students get the chance to work with real clients at our guest services clinic to put their skills to the test. Graduates will walk away with a wide range of skills in hair, skin, and nail care that will prepare them to join or start a salon. The focus on fundamentals has equipped students to pass the California State Cosmetology Board Exam and go on to build successful careers in cosmetology.
Upon successful completion of the Beauty and Cosmetology program at MTI College, students will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the laws and rules regulating the cosmetology industry in the State of California.
- Discuss and apply the scientific aspects of cosmetology, including anatomy and physiology, chemistry and bacteriology to their professional activities.
- Follow general sanitation procedures and safety guidelines as applied to all aspects of hair, skin and nail care.
- Consistently apply appropriate Paul Mitchell systems techniques in the following areas:
- Haircutting and styling
- Hair coloring, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, and other scalp and hair treatments;
- Skincare treatments and the application of cosmetics
- Manicures, pedicures, and advanced nail techniques
- Make appropriate product recommendations and properly advise customers on the product’s use and safety.
- Apply fundamental business practices to a salon environment, including customer service, retail skills;
- Demonstrate an understanding of service and sales techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the skills needed for building and retaining clientele.
In addition, students will benefit from business modules designed by faculty with MTI College’s Business Administration program and walk away with a solid understanding of business fundamentals.
Students will be equipped and trained in:
- Client retention
- Cash flow management
Class sizes are limited to 16 students to ensure that each student receives one-on-one training and attention from the cosmetology instructors.
Beauty and Cosmetology School Instructors
Students of the Beauty and Cosmetology School by Paul Mitchell in Sacramento have the opportunity to be trained by professional hairstylists. The instructors bring their skills, passion, and real-world experience with them into the classroom, focusing on passing on what they know to the next wave of cosmetology professionals.
Cosmetology and Barbering Program
In addition to completing the Beauty and Cosmetology School by Paul Mitchell at MTI College in Sacramento, eligible students have the opportunity to add a barbering component, preparing them for licensure as a cosmetologist and barber.
The barbering curriculum can be taken as part of the Cosmetology and Barbering Program or as a standalone course for PM Graduates only. The multilevel curriculum will hone the student’s technical and business skills while developing their creativity. With upscale salons and barbershops focusing on professional men’s grooming, skilled barbers are in high demand to meet the needs of this growing clientele.
Advanced Makeup Curriculum
The Cosmetology program at MTI College in Sacramento, California prepares students to build a successful career in the makeup industry. Graduates will be equipped with a diverse set of skills that will enable them to manage a salon, work in show business, or pursue a career in high-fashion. The advanced makeup curriculum allows professionals and Paul Mitchell The School graduates to continue building their foundation through instruction and practice.
The Advanced Makeup curriculum teaches advanced makeup techniques that aren’t found in the traditional beauty school curriculum. The class consists of 15 modules that include hands-on practice, an evaluation by a Paul Mitchell The School instructor, and assistance in the creation of a professional makeup portfolio.
The Advanced Makeup curriculum includes:
- Tools of the Trade: Students are introduced to the tools and techniques they’ll utilize throughout the course.
- Corrective Makeup: Learn to emphasize flattering features through the skillful application of shade and color. Cover up imperfections and tattoos to leave clients looking their best.
- Makeup for Mature Skin: Gain an understanding of how cosmetology techniques should be adapted to aging skin.
- Makeup for Dark Skin: Receive instruction on how skin tone affects the beauty routine.
- Makeup for Asian Eyes: Learn how to adapt eye makeup techniques for maximum effect.
- Male Makeup: Expand your beauty repertoire by developing skills to take advantage of this emerging trend.
- Classic Pinup Makeup: Tap into the nostalgic styles of the 1940s with instruction in cosmetology for pinup models.
- Airbrushing Makeup: High-definition video has brought an increased interest in this subtle technique. Learn how to correctly apply makeup with an airbrush gun.
- Bridal Makeup: The goal? To make the bride look natural, gorgeous, and glowing. Mastering wedding-day beauty techniques can open up lucrative opportunities for the dedicated cosmetologist.
- Film/Photography Makeup: Prepare for a career in live entertainment or show business with advanced training in the application of subtle makeup.
- Special FX Makeup: Explore the world of facial prosthetics and master the creation of fake scars, bruises, and more.
- Theatrical Makeup: Get acquainted with the beauty regimen used by countless Broadway productions to make stars shine on stage.
Related DocumentsProgram Assessment 2017 (PDF)
- C103 - Cosmetology CORE
- CORE focuses on the fundamental knowledge and skills Future Professionals will need to begin working with their clients, including an overview of the cosmetology industry and business practices; State of California rules and regulations, sanitation, and chemistry; basic techniques in cutting, color, and styling; and skin and nail care.
- C305/6 - Cosmetology Adaptive
- The Adaptive phase is a period of intense study that is designed to build on the basics learned in CORE. The Adaptive phase consists of two modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. The Adaptive phase includes theory classes that contribute to the 160 theory hours required by the State of California and instruction in the areas of cutting, coloring, and texture/skin/makeup/nails. Future professionals also learn retailing practices, dialog, and the importance of educating clients on product, and the need for good communication between the professional and his/her guests by providing consultations on hair analysis, chemical analysis, and hair movement. Future professional progress will be evaluated at the end of each module and will earn a grade based on their performance in each area of study.
- C402 - Cosmetology Creative
- The Creative Phase allows Future Professional to continue to build and apply their knowledge and skills through classroom instruction and working in the clinic. The Creative phase consists of three modules in which future professionals gain additional experience through hands-on practice and evaluation on the clinic floor. They explore ways to customize and combine the technical elements of what they have previously learned. Under the guidance of their Learning Leaders, Future Professionals will begin to operate more independently as they service their clients using techniques that combine the latest trends with fundamental technical skills.
Grants and other forms of tuition assistance are available to those who qualify. To find out what you’re eligible for, contact an MTI admissions advisor today!
Median Loan Debt Incurred by Students
Median Loan Debt: $13,033
*The median debt of borrowers who completed this program in the 2016-2017 award year. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Registration: $18,900
Books and Supplies: $3,012
Job Placement Rate
Award Year Adjusted Job Placement Rate: 100%
Award Year Unadjusted Job Placement Rate: 71%
Based on the number of Cosmetology graduates in the 2016-2017 award year who registered for graduate placement services and secured employment in their field of study, and those who did not register and successfully obtained employment on their own.
* Future results may vary. MTI’s job placement rate calculations are based on the award year July 1 to June 30. The unadjusted rate represents the percentage of total graduates who obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate represents the percentage of graduates who are actively looking for work and obtain employment in or related to their field of study. The adjusted rate does not include graduates who are not looking for work for reasons such as continuing education, remaining at current place of employment, military service, health issues, death, etc. For a complete explanation of MTI’s placement calculations, please visit: Job Placement Rate Calculation
California License Examination Pass Rates
A written and practical (hands-on) examination is required to become a licensed cosmetologist in California.
Licensure Pass Rate: 90%
*Based on Cosmetology program graduates in the 2017 calendar year who obtained their cosmetology licenses through the State of California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Review MTI’s exam pass rates and compare our results to other schools by reviewing the results posted by the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Look up MTI College under “Cosmetology – Written Examination Results” and “Cosmetology – Practical Examination Results.”
All information provided in compliance with U.S. Code 75 FR 66948 §668.6.
Apply today to pursue an exciting career in the field of cosmetology. Upon completion of the online application, you will be contacted by the Paul Mitchell Admissions Leader who will guide you through the process, answer your questions, and schedule a tour of our Sacramento campus. Join Sacramento’s best beauty school and apply today!